Date: July 16th, 2014
- The Alliance's 2014 Bipartisan Congressional Awards Dinner is fast approaching. This year's event will be held September 30, 2014, at the Willard InterContinental Hotel in Washington, D.C. The dinner celebrates advances in aging research and honors individuals for their immense contributions. Among this year's honorees include Jay Walker of TEDMED, U.S. Senator Bill Nelson of Florida and the Honorable Mitch Daniels, president of Purdue University. We are offering a limited amount of tickets to the dinner, so if you would like to get more information, please go here.
- We wanted to share about a film called Alive Inside. It chronicles the experiences of those who have had their lives revitalized through the simple joy of listening to music. Many of the stories in the film revolve around the senior population. For more, please visit here.
- Recently, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the launch of the Senior Safety Initiative. According to the CPSC, the total estimated societal costs of consumer product injuries involving older adults, including pain and suffering costs, exceed $100 billion annually. This initiative aims to reverse this trend. The Alliance welcomes this as it puts the safety of our senior population first and foremost. You can learn more here.
- Have you heard of Resveratrol? It's an antioxidant found in red wine, dark chocolate and other consumables. For years, it has been hailed as a possible way to lower the risk of heart disease and cancer. But does it really? National Institutes of Health director Francis S. Collins provides his own insights in his blog. It's worth a read.
- Do you have a piece of news you'd like to share with us about the world of aging research? Please feel free to let us know! We want to hear from you.