The Alliance for Aging Research Seeks a Government Relations Associate
The Alliance for Aging Research is the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries and their application to vastly improve the universal human experience of aging and health. The Public Policy and Government Relations Department advocates for Federal research funding, policies, and regulations that benefit older Americans. For more information about us, please visit, www.agingresearch.org.
The Government Relations Associate supports policy development and federal advocacy related outreach. The position reports to the Vice President of Public Policy and Government Relations.
Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
• Monitor and track legislation and administrative activity on issues affecting aging research and care at the National Institutes of Health, the Food & Drug Administration, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Agency for Health Research and Quality and the Veteran’s Health Administration
• Maintain databases relevant to our work with Congress and federal agencies
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with other patient advocacy organizations in support of coalition development
• Attend coalition meetings, congressional hearings, and other events when needed
• Support grassroots advocacy cultivation and activation efforts, including through use of messaging applications (i.e., Phone2Action or OneClickPolitics)
• Provide limited administrative support, including but not limited to: drafting minutes for standing Alliance-led coalition conference calls; scheduling meetings with legislative staff; lending logistical support for briefings, roundtables and other events organized by the Alliance; and preparing meeting packets for public policy meetings with funders and other stakeholders
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in political science or related fields
• 1-2 years of public policy and/or government relations experience
• Superb oral and written communications skills
• Comfort in cultivating working relationships with Congressional staff and potential allied advocates
• Willingness to register as a federal lobbyist and advocate to advance the health of older adults
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong work ethic, integrity, and judgment
• Interest in science, medical research, and aging
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and web-based congressional tracking tools and programs (i.e., Congress.gov, BGOV or Quorum)
• Capitol Hill experience and/or work in the non-profit sector (preferred)
• Must be authorized to work in the United States
• Applicants should live in the DMV area. This position reports to the DC office and determinations on days of attendance will be made once the organization deems it safe for employees to return to the office. Guidance on our return-to-work is subject to change.
• The Alliance requires all employees to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In accordance with the most current CDC guidance. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
The Alliance for Aging Research offers excellent benefits, including employer‐paid health/dental insurance, life insurance, long and short-term disability, flexible spending account, qualified transportation benefit, 401K retirement plan with match, administrative leave, teleworking option (currently 100% remote until further notice), free gym access, monthly cell phone allowance, employee assistance program, annual bonus, fourteen (14) days of paid health and wellness leave, and four weeks of paid vacation. Salary $55K
The Alliance for Aging Research is an equal opportunity employer that strives to be a place where inclusion lives, individuals grow, and diverse talent is retained. The Alliance does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to [email protected]. No faxes or phone calls, please.
Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact the job poster with unsolicited services or offers.
Closing Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2022