About the Alliance
Vice President of Communications
The Alliance for Aging Research Vice President of Communications oversees all aspects of strategic communications efforts, including press outreach, public relations, branding, content development, social media, analytics, budget, and staff. This position works closely with the Alliance’s President/CEO, Vice President of Development, Senior Vice President of Health Education and Advocacy, and Vice President of Public Policy and Government Relations to deploy a cohesive, proactive, and aggressive communications strategy.
The Vice President will propose, execute, and manage efforts to promote the organization’s message, market its programs and events and provide analysis on communications activities. This position reports directly to the President/CEO, is part of the leadership team, directly manages the Digital Communications Coordinator, and oversees the Communications department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and executing annual public relations/media relations strategy and communications plan for the Alliance that raises the profile of the organization, its programs, and events.
- Cultivating strategic press relations and fielding incoming press inquiries, including working with the President/CEO and program staff to develop talking points for interviews.
- With the aid of PR software, develop and maintain press lists in aging and health, and 3-4 of the Alliance’s current issues. Use these lists to cultivate a core group of reporter relationships.
- Arranging virtual or in-person meetings with the President/CEO and select reporters, outside of an immediate story pitch, to provide insight on upcoming issues and story ideas.
- Overseeing and reviewing content creation for all the Alliance’s communications’ department platforms.
- Regularly assessing effectiveness and impact of communications strategies and tactics and recommending adjustments as necessary to maximize the Alliance’s reach.
- Developing and executing communications and marketing plans for individual Alliance programs in conjunction with the President/CEO, Vice President of Development, Senior Vice President of Health Education and Advocacy, and Vice President of Public Policy and Government Relations, and partner organizations’ communications staff/public relations firms.
- Amplifying and protecting the Alliance’s brand, including visual look and feel, tone, and style.
- Advancing the Alliance’s programmatic and policy priorities by effectively positioning the organization as a leading voice on age-related diseases, conditions, policies, and promoting the Alliance among external stakeholders and thought leaders.
- Working closely with Alliance senior staff to establish and meet benchmarks for success across platforms and programs.
- Managing, coaching, and mentoring the Digital Communications Coordinator.
- Keeping staff up to date on external-facing positions, announcements, and projects.
- Managing the budget for the department and communications projects.
- Leading special projects as needed.
- Managing workflow with outside communications firms as needed
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- 8-10 years of media relations, strategic communications, or other relevant experience.
- Demonstrated leadership experience managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Existing relationships with members of the media, particularly with healthcare reporters.
- Demonstrated skill in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placement.
- At least 2 years of supervising one or more staff (not just interns).
- Proven managerial skills with ability to motivate and lead direct-report and cross-functional teams to success and superior results.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and innovative ideas.
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills.
- Strong knowledge of analytics, web and social media platforms.
- Experience using Cision or other media databases preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or another relevant field or equivalent experience.
- Department budget management experience desired, or willingness to learn.
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and the willingness to be hands-on are critical to success; must have strong problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of aging issues preferred
- Flexibility and openness to new approaches, and interest in learning from peers/colleagues.
- Ability to balance multiple competing priorities and balance allocation of time.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Passionate about the Alliance’s mission.
- We are looking for candidates living in the greater DMV. While you’re welcome to work 100% remotely, you will be required to attend monthly staff meetings, bi-annual board meetings, our annual event, and other in-person meetings as needed.
- The Alliance for Aging Research is an organization that works to address vaccine hesitancy, encourage vaccination, and promote public health. We strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with the most current CDC guidance.
The Alliance for Aging Research offers excellent benefits, including employer‐paid health, dental/vision insurance, life insurance, long and short-term disability, flexible spending account, qualified transportation benefit, 401K retirement plan with matching, free gym access, monthly cell phone allowance, employee assistance program, annual holiday bonus, fourteen (14) days of paid health and wellness leave, and four weeks of paid vacation. Salary $140K.
The Alliance for Aging Research is an equal opportunity employer that strives to be a place where inclusion lives, individuals grow, and diverse talent is retained. The Alliance does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and at least one writing sample to [email protected] with subject line “Vice President of Communications”. No faxes or phone calls please.
Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact the job poster with unsolicited services or offers.