Talk NERDY To Me
Research shows that involving older adult patients in decision-making about their healthcare leads to better patient outcomes and satisfaction. Older adult patient and family caregiver engagement in research is more critical than ever to the Alliance’s overall mission.
With support from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), the Alliance created the “Talk NERDY (Nurturing Engagement in Research and Development with You) To Me” program (formerly the Senior Patient and Family Caregiver Network, or SP&FCN) to train a new group of older adult patients and family caregivers each year on:
- Patient-centered outcomes research (PCOR) and the clinical trials process;
- How to develop research questions that are important to older patients and their family caregivers; and,
- How to find PCOR opportunities and encourage others to do the same.
We then help get them involved in public and private advisory roles on clinical trial review committees, IRBs, and other research, policy, and health education-focused opportunities.
In 2017 and 2018, our disease areas of focus included Alzheimer’s disease, sarcopenia, atrial fibrillation, and chronic pain. These disease areas of focus may change or expand in future years to additional conditions that align with the Alliance for Aging Research’s mission.
- Learn more about the 2017 SP&FCN Training
- Learn more about the 2018 SP&FCN Training
- Learn more about the 2019 Talk NERDY to Me Training
At the core of the network is the NERDY Council comprised of patients, researchers, payers, and industry representatives who have been instrumental in shaping the training and engaging directly with network participants.
If you are interested in learning more about the Talk NERDY To Me program or if you would like to know more about becoming a sponsor or joining the NERDY Council, email [email protected].