Preventive care can help you stay healthy and find medical problems early. Medicare offers a number of important preventive services like yearly “Wellness” visits, screenings, and vaccines.
Alliance Submits Comments on PCORI’s National Priorities for Health
Published August 27, 2021
August 27th, 2021 – On Friday, August 27th, the Alliance submitted comments to the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) on its Proposed National Priorities for Health and Research agenda. These comments will help PCORI determine which patient-centered projects and research studies it will fund in the coming years.
This is a continuation of earlier comments the Alliance submitted last November on proposed principles for PCORI-funded research. The Alliance’s recommendations would strengthen efforts to help older adults make better-informed healthcare decisions and develop research to explore how our healthcare system can meet the needs of an aging population.
Research and study recommendations include:
- Prioritizing more head-to-head studies of treatments to understand effectiveness
- Lead efforts to develop patient-centered value metrics as alternatives to the QALY
- Explore opportunities to incorporate the patient perspective early in the clinical development process
- Examine the equity impacts of Medicare coverage decisions
- Study how to communicate with different populations more effectively on clinical trial participation
- Create educational programs on the Medicare enrollment process
- Study impacts of safety-net benefit coordination
- Evaluate community-specific healthcare outcomes
About the Alliance for Aging Research
The Alliance for Aging Research is the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries and their application to vastly improve the universal human experience of aging and health. The Alliance believes advances in research help people live longer, happier, more productive lives and reduce healthcare costs over the long term. For more than 30 years, the Alliance has guided efforts to substantially increase funding and focus for aging at the National Institutes of Health and Food and Drug Administration; built influential coalitions to guide groundbreaking regulatory improvements for age-related diseases; and created award-winning, high-impact educational materials to improve the health and well-being of older adults and their family caregivers. For more information, visit www.agingresearch.org