Adult vaccination rates in the U.S. are dangerously low, falling far short of national targets, despite the devastating effects vaccine-preventable diseases can have on older adults. The tools and educational materials in this workshop kit address the importance of vaccination later in life, and encourage older adults to protect themselves from these potentially deadly diseases.
Our Best Shot: Workshop Kit is designed for community leaders hosting workshops for seniors and their caregivers on the basics of vaccination. The "soup-to-nuts" kit covers how vaccines work, common vaccine-preventable diseases, vaccine safety and efficacy, the vaccine schedule for adults 60-64 and 65+, and where and how to get vaccinated. Materials in the kit include:
- A Leader's Guide with tips and instructions on conducting the workshop
- Poster for promoting the workshop
- A short "pocket film" highlighting how vaccines work and why they are important for older adults
- Educational patient brochure that reinforces content covered during the workshop
- Now available in Spanish
- Truth Tellers factsheet with the facts about vaccines
- Medicare factsheet with information on preventive services, including vaccines
- Participant quiz and answer sheet covering important points from the workshop
- The quiz is also available on-line
- A slide presentation to use throughout the workshop to guide content and discussion
- Evaluation form to collect feedback from workshop participants
- On-line survey for workshop leaders
Watch the presentation from the workshop kit launch, where two leaders from Area Agencies on Aging talk about their experience piloting the workshop kit, and share their tips on best practices.
All of the materials are free and we encourage you to download them, save them to your computer, print out copies, and get started on hosting this important workshop! For questions, e-mail Lindsay Clarke at [email protected].
This workshop kit was produced in partnership with
With support from